City Attorney's Office
The City Attorney’s Office is responsible for:
- Acting as adviser to the City of Carbondale in matters involving general municipal operations and administration
- Advising City staff on legal issues
- Prosecuting ordinance violations
- Representing the City in legal proceedings
- Reviewing and preparing legal documents
- Updating the Carbondale Revised Code
Alternatives to Appearing in Court
If a person commits a City ordinance violation and is a first-time offender, there are alternative resolutions to appearing in City court, including:
- Community Service: Perform a certain number of community service work hours at a specified/approved work site and pay only a portion of the set fine as an administrative fee
- Pay-By-Mail Program: Pay a set administrative fee in lieu of appearing in court
Collection of Debts
The City Attorney will take legal action against a person who fails or refuses to pay any outstanding debt to the City. This includes: unpaid bills, weed mowing and dishonored checks.
Ordinance Violations/Traffic Citations
All City of Carbondale Ordinance Violations and Traffic Citations are prosecuted through the First Judicial Circuit Court in Murphysboro, Illinois. All fines can be mailed to or paid in person at the Jackson County Circuit Clerk’s Office in Murphysboro, Illinois. For more information call 618-687-7300.
If you have Mediacom service, live within City limits, and are having service related issues to cable television service, you may file a complaint with the City by mail (PDF) or online. We will work with both the complainant and Mediacom to ensure quality customer service.