Safe Exchange Zone Initiative
The Carbondale Police Department has designated the visitor parking lot (located on the south end of the building) as a safe exchange zone (PDF) for any type of exchange the public may need, including custody exchanges and online buying or selling transactions such as Craigslist, Ebay, and Heartland Community Swap. The Department encourages the use of police facilities for parents and caregivers who have concerns regarding child custody transfers. We are committed to providing a secure location for our citizens.
The Safe Exchange Zone is available to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Safe Exchange Zone is under video surveillance at all times to provide extra protection to the public. The Safe Exchange Zone is well lit with bright lighting to provide extra security. During periods of inclement weather, the police department lobby is also available Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. as a Safe Exchange Zone to make the same exchanges. If you have any questions about the Safe Exchange Zones, please contact 618-457-3200 for Randy Mathis in the Community Resource Office at extension 402, Gerald Edwards in the Community Resource Office at extension 454, or Sgt. Doug Wilson at extension 446.
Tips for Online Purchases
- Ask lots of questions if you decide to meet with a prospective buyer or seller
- Disable all location services on your technology devices
- Do not meet someone alone
- Do not meet someone you’re not familiar with in an unfamiliar location
- Do not provide personal or financial information
- Do not reveal personal information, location information or other items, which may attract online predators
- Do not send digital photographs with embedded global positioning system (GPS) data